Local:(610) 469-0533
Toll Free: (866) 469-0507

1710 Ridge Road
Pottstown, PA 19465-8806

donate button

Visit us on Facebook


“A – C” Memorial Horses



AMBER PRINCESS (AMBER) In 2001, Amber Princess, a Thoroughbred mare, retired to Ryerss at the age of 18. She had a successful racing career and retired sound. During her tenure at Ryerss Farm, she was the easiest keeper and uncomplicated.  In 2013, she suffered an injury in the field that required daily, involved nursing care for nearly six months. Amber was the easiest patient and totally cooperative.  Her leg healed completely.

During the second week of March, Amber’s right rear leg became very swollen to the point that she became immobile.  Lymphangitis was suspected and she became septic overnight.  Medicinal intervention was not working, so before she suffered, she was gently eased across the Rainbow Bridge on March 11th, 2014. She will be remembered as the sweetest horse and is missed by Magic.










SS ANDRE PREVIN (“ANDRE”):  In August of 2002, SS Andre Previn, a 19-year-old Arabian gelding was retired to Ryerss Farm.  He was born in 1983 and had spent his career as a western pleasure horse, both under saddle and in hand.

During the first several years of Andre’s retirement, he was the big man on campus.  Over the years, Andre mellowed out quite a bit and could always be found with his friends Toby and Willy.  He was known for his very talkative voice and his tail constantly elevated as the breed is known for.

Andre was in the peak of health this Spring until he suffered an injury in the field on the morning of May 11th, leaving us no choice but to help him across the rainbow bridge.  We miss his cheery voice through out the barn.









AprilheadshotARIAN APRIL’S DAWN (“APRIL”) was a Tennessee Walker/Quarter Horse mix who was blind in one eye.  She retired to Ryerss in 2010, along with her two sisters, Mindy and Vicki. April was born in Horsham, PA and enjoyed some local shows and lots of trail riding with her former owner, Andrea Marincola.  Her former owner even took her in a trailer to the shore one time, where they both swam in the ocean!  Even with limited vision, April got around very well and was especially fond of her three best friends, Casey, Chevon and Budrow.  April lived at Ryerss Farm for eight years and finally succumbed to old age on February 19, 2018, when she passed away at the age of nearly forty.  She was a sweet mare and was loved by all who knew her.  RIP, April.












ATESH:  Sahar Atesh (Dawn’s Fire) was a grey Arabian.  Born in 1983, Atesh stood 14.3 hands.  Prior to his retirement in December 2007, Atesh enjoyed taking his former owner on trail rides.  He loved attention and would often rub his face on people.  Atesh was not comfortable in new situations and doesn’t like to be alone. He spent his time as part of the upper barn herd with his friend, Puff.  Atesh passed away on May 20, 2010.










BARNEGAT LIGHT (“BARNEY”) was a chestnut Dutch Warmblood.  He stood 16.2 hands.  During his first career, Barney performed in hunter/jumper competitions.  In 1998, he was donated to a park in New Jersey, where he served as a lesson horse for riders both with and without disabilities.  With his great personality and his friendliness towards people, Barney earned the name “Special Boy.”  Barney retired to Ryerss in July 2008. He passed away on January 11, 2012.











BATTLING GIRL (“BALI”) was a bay Thoroughbred.  She stood 15.2 hands.  Born in 1977, Bali held a long career in racing, retiring sound at the age of eight.  During her career, Bali ran in 91 races, winning 15 times, placing second in 13 races and third in 14 races.  She placed fourth in numerous races and almost always placed in the top five.  Sired by Sing Man Sing, a 20-year record holder at Monmouth Race Track, Bali ran sprints and long distance, winning on both mud and turf tracks.  She foaled Water Battle (sired by Water Moccasin), which won eight races.  Bali retired to Ryerss in September 2007. She passed away on June 5, 2010 at the age of 33.










Biggie-flippedBIGGIE: On July 21, 2015, Ryerss Farm welcomed a 31-year-old Thoroughbred named Biggie, who stood 16.3 hh.  Biggie began his career as a race horse. Once finished with that career, he became a police horse and eventually was adopted as a trail horse after the mounted police unit he worked for was disbanded. Before coming to Ryerss, Biggie was about to be sent to the auction, because at 31 he could no longer carry his rider (owner), who was replacing him with a new horse. Ryerss rescued him, and he arrived to live out his days just “being a horse” as part of our herd. He had a little over two happy golden years, living with the Ryerss herd and enjoying the visitors, staff and volunteers who brought him treats and loved to spend time with him.  Sadly, on September 16, 2017, Biggie passed away quietly and suddenly from an apparent heart attack while grazing in the field on a beautiful morning.  He will be missed by staff, visitors and volunteers, who all cared greatly for him.  RIP, Biggie. 







IMG_8533BluheadshotBLU was a 15.2 hand Thoroughbred mare who had a racing career before she retired from that pursuit to become a trail riding companion to her owner. She had also worked in a Nature Camp, giving rides to the children there. She was “kind, caring and patient” with the little ones on her back. At age 22, she retired and became a part of the barn herd at Ryerss, where she made a close friend in Rosie. Unfortunately, Blu suffered from severe arthritis in the knee, which caused the joint to fuse and eventually made it extremely difficult for her even to walk. There was no cure for this condition, and she was increasingly in pain and unable to move. Therefore, on Friday, September 16, 2016, Blu was humanely euthanized.  Rest in Peace, Blu.







BocacalendarBOCA BOY was a grey English Thoroughbred, standing 15.1 hands.  Born on March 28, 1981, Boca arrived in the United States at the age of two.  He was purchased by his former owner at the age of five and began a career in low level dressage, participating until he retired to Ryerss in November 2008.  Boca and his best friends, C’est What and Wolverine, spent their days together with the other Ryerss horses where they enjoyed grazing in the fields and greeting visitors for carrots and apples!  Sadly, Boca passed away on March 27, 2017 at the age of 36!  He lived a long and happy life, always treated well and loved by those who cared for him.








BeemerBORN LUCKY (“BEEMER”) was a 16.3 hand Bay Oldenburg mare who was full of personality.  Beemer started her life with her owner at age four. With her sire being Domino, the 1982 National Grand Prix Champion and a member of the 1983 United States Equestrian Team, Beemer and her owner had great ambitions; however, love, husband and children got in the way!  In the 21 years Beemer and her owner were together, they explored the world of dressage, went on long trail rides, and briefly competed on the local show circuit.  “Boy could that girl jump!”

In February of 2011 Beemer came to Ryerss to spend a well-deserved retirement grazing on the green pastures of the farm. She had many friends in the herd and was often seen with Dandy and Maggie. On May 15, 2016, at the age of 30, Beemer unfortunately suffered severe colic, which was unresponsive to treatment, and she had to be euthanized.  Beemer was a very sweet mare with a kind eye, a wonderful temperament and a strong will.  RIP, Beemer.





BOURBON joined the residents of Ryerss Farm in September of 2010.  He was a bay stocky Quarter Horse cross gelding. He originated in North Dakota and then ended up in a lesson barn in Long Island. At the age of fourteen, he was introduced to jumping and mastered it.

 He enjoyed retirement and quickly took up with his girl, Shelby.  As time went by, the two of them invited Sidney into their group.  One would not go anywhere without the other two.  This was particularly true with Shelby and Bourbon.

It is our best guess that sometime during the night on May 10th, Bourbon suffered a stroke.  He became neurological to the point where the kindest thing to do was to help him across the Rainbow Bridge that next morning.  Time heals all wounds…Shelby and Sidney have gone on to make new friends at Ryerss.









Bucky HeadTHE PURPLE PEOPLE EATER, a.k.a. BUCKY, retired to Ryerss Farm on April 12, 2017.  Bucky was a grey gelding Thoroughbred, 16hh. Who was born in 1991.  He spent his early years as a race horse on several local area tracks where he had some success.  His recent years were spent living at his former owner Anna Sasso’s farm with pasture mate and best friend Special Intention who also retired to Ryerss with Bucky on the same date.  Unfortunately, Bucky suffered from a series of constant abscesses in his feet which would not heal, despite medications and treatment.  Due to the constant pain with no relief, Bucky was humanely euthanized at the age of 26.  He will be missed at Ryerss.  RIP, Bucky.








BuddyIIIheadBUDDY III (TIMIDATING HANK), was a 29-year-old, dark bay, 15.3h registered American Quarter Horse bred by the Beckers in Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania. He retired to Ryerss Farm on March 5, 2016. Buddy had both The Intimidator and Impressive in his blood lines, and lived in Arkansas and West Virginia before returning to Pennsylvania. Buddy was trained both English and Western, and competed in American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) horse shows. Buddy won enough points to earn an AQHA Register of Merit (ROM). Buddy belonged to his former owner for 23 years. Prior to being retired at Ryerss, he was living the good life at a beautiful boarding stable in West Chester, Pennsylvania, being smothered with love. Most recently, Buddy was enjoying the carefree life of retirement at Ryerss Farm until he suffered from colic and intestinal twist, which could not be resolved. Sadly, he had to be humanely euthanized on February 22, 2017.   He will be missed by all who loved him.







ButkusHeadShotBUTKUS, a chestnut Belgian, was named after a football player. He was born in 1981 and was later rescued by Tim Blevins, our farm manager, off a double-decker truck on its way to the slaughter house. Butkus was a friendly horse who loved the attention of visitors and the treats they would bring. As a result, he often chased the other horses away from the crowd. Butkus retired to Ryerss in September 2001 and enjoyed grazing with his best buddy, Winston. These two horses became inseparable, and Winston would always wait for Butkus (who moved more slowly) to catch up when the herd was moved to a new pasture. Winston was also very protective of his friend and stayed by his side constantly.

In May of 2010, Butkus even made a TV appearance when he travelled to Philadelphia to be on a short Fox News segment.   

 On June 28, 2016, at the age of 35, we lost Butkus due to an impaction which could not be resolved. He will be remembered by all at Ryerss as the horse with the beautiful long mane! RIP, Butkus. 





CaputoCAPUTO was a 16.2 hh bay gelding Thoroughbred.  He was born in born in 1983 and had an excellent career as a race horse.   In May, 2001, Caputo retired to Ryerss Farm where he soon became best pals with Henry, a Ryerss herd mate.  Caputo and Henry were friends for many years and people often referred to them as a unit, saying “HenryandCaputo” as if it were one word, because you never saw one without the other!  Caputo had a happy 15 years as a Ryerss resident until February 25, 2016, when we lost him due to a field injury at the age of 33. Caputo will be missed by all at Ryerss and especially his buddy, Henry. 












CaramelnewheadshotCARAMEL was retired to Ryerss Farm in April, 2013 by The Large Animal Protection Society after they successfully removed her from a neglectful situation. Some such situations can strictly be the result of not knowing the proper way to care for an animal.  It happens more times than not.

The secret to rehabbing an underweight horse is giving them many small meals. With many meals and a truckload of TLC, Caramel thrived.  We all watched as her hind end grew stronger and her eyes became brighter.  She made friends and even got a bit pushy looking for treats.

It is not at all certain what happened on that fateful Thursday, August 8th,2013, but while heading over to the fence to ask for goodies, Caramel went down.  Our theory is that she suffered some sort of seizure…perhaps a result of years of neglect. She was never scared, because she was surrounded by those who cared for her. Her heart was willing but her body was tired and she was unable to rise. We find comfort in knowing that her last months she thoroughly enjoyed retirement here on the farm.




The word “gentleman” comes to mind when referring to our dear CASEY (CASLAND CORONADO).  As a 34 year old bay Morgan, you could still see the elegance of the breed even though the infirmities of old age were catching up to him. 

Born in 1978, Casey lived with his former owner for 25 years performing in local hunter shows, riding the trails and performing limited dressage.   He retired to Ryerss in May of 2007.  Over the years here, he saw many of his pony friends cross the Rainbow Bridge:  PR…Tex…and Otter, to name a few. 

Casey began to isolate himself and wasn’t engaging in any horsey games.  He seemed to be gazing off into the distance, perhaps remembering his younger days as a spry young fellow. 

His former owner came to see him just recently and spent a good long time with him.  He remembered her.  It was almost as if Casey was at peace with moving on because he had said goodbye to those he loved.  His time had come and he crossed the Rainbow Bridge on December 12th, 2012.  It warms our hearts to know that he is reunited with his old pals.






C’EST WHAT began her career on February 17, 1988, as a two year old when she was registered by The Jockey Club as a chestnut filly foal of 1986.  Her official record shows her as a winner at Philly Park in 1989 and 1990.  When her former owner stumbled upon her in 1991, she was being trained under English and Western saddle.  Years later, C’est and her former owner moved on to work with a Three-Day Event trainer. She eventually became a pleasure horse and retired to Ryerss Farm on July 31, 2011. In recent years her Cushing’s disease had caused muscle wasting, making her extremely weak and frail.  C’est What was humanely euthanized on August 16, 2017 at the age of 31. She had a good retirement at Ryerss and spend her golden years alongside Wolverine, with whom she developed a strong bond and friendship. C’est was a sweet and gentle soul and will be missed by all.



Chance headshotCHANCE, a bay Tennessee Walker gelding, retired from the New York City Mounted Police in 2002.  It is believed that he was on the force for 12 years.  The officers who delivered him to his Ryerss Farm home commented that of 48 retired police horses, Chance was always the one to leave the herd to greet visitors.  Chance had in indentation in his forehead which may have come from an earlier accident or abuse.  He was a very likeable and friendly horse, quickly making friends with Laramie, a fellow retiree. They were fast friends for several years until Laramie passed away.  Chance continued to do well in his “golden years” at Ryerss until December 1, 2017 when, the age of 36, he developed a sudden gastrointestinal problem which could not be resolved.  Chance was humanely euthanized on December 2, 2017.  He will always be remembered as a friendly and happy horse who was kind to visitors and was liked by all.  RIP, chance.






charleyheadshot2CHARLEY: Charley’s first career was field hunting. He must have been an awesome sight galloping through Chester County’s beautiful terrain! After that high-powered job, he was then bought by an optimistic horse lover who was hoping her husband would be inspired to learn how to ride on massive but gentle Charley and they would  ride through the countryside together. However, her husband had his own opinions on leisure activities, which did not include horses. Charley then moved to Thorncroft Equestrian Therapy Center and became a popular, much-loved, best therapy horse ever!

For 7 years he carried disabled riders, giving them much pleasure, therapy, a sense of accomplishment and empowerment. After great success there and in his mid 20’s, Charley decided to lessen his responsibilities and was given to Marty Bonds, a volunteer at Thorncroft who had loved Charley at first sight. Charley moved to Greenview Farm and taught Marty to ride. He was with her for two wonderful years and then, On December 1, 2016, retired to Ryerss Farm where he would not have to work or be ridden ever again.  Unfortunately, Charley began to show signs of intestinal problems in February, 2017 and, after repeated consultation with our veterinarian, it was decided that the source of his problem was a tumor which was blocking his intestines.  There was no reasonable way for him recover from this condition and, therefore, he was humanely euthanized on February 28th, Charley was a beautiful horse who was friendly, kind and loved by all who met him.  He will be greatly missed at Ryerss Farm.







CHARMING (LOTS OF FLASH) earned her well-deserved retirement after spending many years as a lesson horse at Watchung Stables. She joined us here at Ryerss Farm in August of 2009 at the grand age of 29.

During her time at the farm, she had many gentleman suitors.  First there was Ozzie until he passed.  Then Matisse was smitten by her. Then the true love affair evolved between Charming and Timothy…they were inseparable. Mark of Cornwall tried again and again to win Charmings’ heart but Timothy wouldn’t have any part of it and as a result built up his hind end by constantly kicking out at him.

Charming had limited vision in her right eye and then lost the majority of her vision in the other eye. Timothy became her guide and wore a sleigh bell on his halter.  She only lasted a day after Timothy passed.  There truly was no quality of life without Timothy in it so she was eased over the Rainbow Bridge to be with him forever on May 22, 2013.




There is no required time necessary for a resident of Ryerss to become a meaningful part of our family.  Such was the case with CHOICE, a 22 year old TB, who only joined us in May 2012.   In his previous life, he competed on the Florida show circuit with trainer Kevin Babington and also in hunter shows as local as Devon. 

Foaled in 1990, his 17.2-plus stature was only shadowed by the size of his heart and personality.  Even though he was missing his right eye, he was not spooky.  Once Choice knew that he could trust you, he would put you on his blind side, so that he could watch all activity in the other direction.  He was truly a gentle giant.        

Just a little over a month after his arrival, Choice developed a severe case of Lymphangitis in his right hind leg.  Medical care, under our vets’ guidance, continued on a daily basis, ranging from IV antibiotic treatments to daily scrubbing and cold hosing.  Despite our best efforts, we were merely keeping the situation at bay.  His range of motion and flexion had been compromised considerably.  Surgery was considered but the eventual outcome was bleak. 

On the morning of November 27th, we helped our dear Choice across The Rainbow Bridge.  Although painful and sad, it was the right decision to make.  We will miss our new-found friend and family member.     





LITTLE WONDER CHRISSY, a 15.1 hand TB/QH cross mare, was a local event horse who kept up with the “big boys” of Chester County.  Even way back when, she was a victim of sarcoids.  She retired to Ryerss Farm in July of 1998 and was always known as one the sweetest, kindest horses here.  Chrissy lost a lot of her friends over the years due to the infirmities of old age.

In September of 2011, Max, a Lilac Sabino Tennessee Walker, retired to Ryerss Farm and fell head-over-heels for Chrissy.  He was her protector and was never far from her side.  Sarcoids or no sarcoids, she was the love of his life. On October 30, she exhibited sudden signs of failure.  After 34 years of a wonderful life, fourteen of it spent with us here at Ryerss, Chrissy was quietly eased across the Rainbow Bridge, surrounded by those who loved her.









Corrie-smallerCORRIE, a 15.1-hand grey gelding, arrived to retire at Ryerss Farm on April 18, 2015 at the age of 29. Corrie had been with his former owner for a little over 10 years. They purchased him from Sebastian Riding Associates, where he was a therapy horse, and bought him as a companion for their other horse, who had just lost his companion. They were told that, prior to his time at Sebastian, he was quite the jumper! His owner said, “He was wonderful when my son was born, allowing me to bring the stroller right up to him, and since he was used to wheelchairs it did not startle him.” Corrie had a calm disposition and was friendly with everyone. He became friends with the “Three Mares,” Bianca, Peanut and Ginger, rescues who arrived together in 2016 and are still Upper Barn residents.

Corrie passed away on April 20th after increasing difficulty with his ongoing melanoma condition, which could not be controlled. Corrie was a sweet and beautiful horse who will be remembered by all those who knew him, both at Ryerss and in his earlier life.






Sometimes our residents leave us here at Ryerss with little or no warning.  Such was the case with CRUISER, who died suddenly on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.  He was a 27 year old Thoroughbred, foaled in Florida.  Cruiser had a very impressive lineage including 4 Derby winners, 6 Preakness winners, 6 Belmont winners, 1 Triple Crown winner and shares a grandsire with Smarty Jones. Strange as it might seem, Cruiser was recorded as “unraced.” 

Before Cruiser retired to Ryerss on June 5, 2012, he spent his years first as a successful entry in various hack classes.  He then switched disciplines and became a very successful jumper.  This was attributed to his bravery.  Cruiser feared nothing and soon became a top dog in the herd here at Ryerss. 

Mandy, a Thoroughbred mare, came to Ryerss at the same time that Cruiser did.  They were best buddies from the very start.  Losing Cruiser makes us all aware how precious life is and how things can change in an instant.  Mandy is trying out various horse friendships, but Cruiser will be one tough act to follow.